In Response to Discussion/Comments of Salman Taseer & his family pictures controversy.
by: Naveed Taj Ghouri
Normality of something determines when we judge it against some standard; otherwise every group; nation or individual has his/her own moral and ethical value standards.
The modesty or other values must be compare with divine standard, where at least a huge majority believes in that religion, whether it’s Bible for Christians, Bhagwat Geeta for Hindus, Holy Quran & Sunnah for Muslims or other holy books for their followers.
Now when we call Pakistan as an ‘Islamic’ state, and you know 98% of the people live here are Muslims; it doesn’t suit to people of Pakistan, along with the ideological roots of this country gain on the name of Islam. So clearly if you view the pictures in this context:
- Wine is totally prohibited in Islam, and no 2nd view, one thing to remember, Islam is not the name of Act of Muslims, it is what is defined by Allah and His Messenger PBUH, for example if all Muslims of World start drinking (God forbade), it doesn’t make the drinking justified or allowed!
- Even if it would be a cultural element, regardless of religion, (Just for the sake of argument) prove me a single example from Sub-Continent Culture where drinking is allowed?
- Are these pictures more of regional cultural or more of westernized life behavior?
- Not this and nor Taliban represent the pictures of true Islam, Muslims or even Pakistanis, a very vast majority or common ordinary people of Pakistan and Muslims in general are far away from these. They are merely 0.5% westernized portion of the population, who unfortunately are rich, or in power or in government, and they try to copy the west then impose and influence the society by media to justify these acts. Decade back, there was not a space for these type of people, and even someone did, they tried to hide but here you can see.
- Also it is not invasion of someone’s private life. Private life if they are doing something inside their home, you can clearly see, almost every picture is clear indication of public display, not only causing to spread the bad image of Pakistan & People, but also to provoke others to do the same.
- I feel sorry too as the daughters of nations (are they) are doing these things, but purely these were published, as an eye opener for our readers and society regarding the character of rulers. It is true that ruling has nothing to do with family but “Jo Baap Ghar Ko Aisa rakhta hai woh Mashre ke liye kya kare ga?”
- Also to aware people and parents who are sending their children in the company of these people or school like “Lahore American School” where eye witnessed during Ramadan male female students (excluding the kids and immature ones) wearing shorts, eating and other stuff like that, what class we are producing and what culture we are promoting?
My questions are…
- Should schools in Pakistan provide you the culture to do or wear the same?
- Governor house of an Islamic province and state should be a place to drink and showcase of them?
- Dance parties? Does the publicizing them makes them permissible? And OK? If so… What is the definition of Private? Anything goes to group contains the public places, becomes the Public Activity… An as citizen people of Pakistan deserves the right to criticize. Don’t They?
- How many of the people among us would like to allow our family males and females do the same acts, even among those who are in favor of these pictures? Go to any corner of Pakistan, which noble and honorable family would like to marry his son or daughter to people like these?
- A nation like America does not bear the unethical act from its presidents, although their whole culture allows them to entertain themselves in whatever manner they want, how it can be permissible here?
- Do you really think these pictures were released by any political party? Many of these are published by themselves through Facebook, magazine and especially their own magazines are promoting this kind of pictures in fortnightly Good Times, and Weekly Sunday Times (of Daily Times Sunday Edition)
Writing all these doesn’t mean that I belong to any whatsoever Political Party etc or I am claiming to be a good practicing Muslim, I am as ordinary and non-practicing Muslim, Just a request, OK do whatever you want to do, in your house or Chaar-Dewari, but for God sake leave that Public Office, as this is not someone’s personal property.
As like other third world nations, it is also our tragedy that we always having a soft corner for people who are in power, or wealthy.
“They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: “In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit.” They ask thee how much they are to spend; Say: “What is beyond your needs.” Thus doth Allah make clear to you His Signs: In order that ye may consider-”